Mohs Surgery in Boca Raton, FL
Mohs surgery is considered the gold standard for treating the two most common types of skin cancer. At liv Plastic Surgery, Dr. Ress and his specially trained team know how important early detection and treatment is and they are ready to help with the most advanced technologies. Dr. Ress serves patients in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Fort Lauderdale and all throughout Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties.
What is Mohs Surgery?
The Mohs method is a pathology technique of examining the surgical specimen microscopically, so as to remove completely all skin cancer while preserving all normal tissues. Mohs differs from traditional surgery pathology (frozen section) in how the specimen is oriented. Specifically all attention is focused on the edges or margins of the specimen rather than the center portion. Once the tumor margins are cleared, the open area is closed.
What is Mohs Complete™?
Developed by Dr. Andrew Ress, Mohs Complete™ combines the best elements of all pathology and surgical approaches. Mohs Complete™ embraces the team/multidisciplinary approach adopted at all major cancer centers across the country. The team includes only top-trained experts in their fields: a board-certified plastic surgeon and a board-certified pathologist who has subspecialized in surgical frozen section pathology. Other team members include, when necessary, oncologists and other specialists in cancer therapies for coordinated care or advanced problems.
Mohs Surgery Procedure
1. Skin cancers often extend beyond their visible borders. It is these extensions that cause the tumors to recur if not completely removed.
2. Like other surgical procedures, Mohs surgery first removes the visible tumor.
3. A thin layer of normal-appearing tissue is then removed, mapped and evaluated by the surgeon with a microscope.
4. Additional layers may then be taken precisely in the areas of remaining cancer until the tumor is completely removed.
5. Mohs surgery ensures all of the tumor is removed with 99 percent certainty while preserving the maximum amount of healthy tissue and therefore minimizing the size of scars.
Benefits of Mohs Complete™
Few would argue that plastic surgeons get better cosmetic results than other kinds of surgeons. Just because it’s cancer does not mean you have to look like you had cancer. Plus, the whole procedure is performed in the convenience of one office location. Mohs Complete™ makes traveling between multiple doctors’ offices history.
- More thorough pathology
- Performed all in one office
- Team approach
- Great for simple and complex lesions
- More exacting standards than traditional Mohs
- Cosmetic results equal or better than traditional Mohs
Mohs Complete™ Comparison Chart
|Technique||Standard Pathology||Standard Mohs||Mohs Complete™|
|Edges examined in detail||N||Y||Y|
|Tumor (center of specimen examined)||Y||N||Y|
|Base of specimen examined||N||N||Y|
|Permanent pathology to confirm results||Y||N||Y|
|Specimen saved and archived for 10 years||Y||N||Y|
|Doctors||Standard Pathology||Standard Mohs||Mohs Complete™|
|All services in one office (outpatient)||N||N||Y|
|Closure always by board-certified plastic surgeon||N||N||Y|
|Pathology by board-certified pathologist with special training||Y||N||Y|
|Doctors have hospital privileges for pathology or surgery in OR||Y||N||Y|
|If problem occurs, can your surgeon manage in hospital?||N||N||Y|
At liv Plastic Surgery in Boca Raton, FL, Dr. Ress serves patients in Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Fort Lauderdale and all throughout Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties. He has performed countless successful Mohs surgeries, and at our facility you will be taken care of and treated with kindness, concern and humanity. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and start the path to living a healthy life.